Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lonely

Earlier today, I was hit by a wave of loneliness. I wanted someone to talk to, very badly! In that moment of feeling lonely, the Spirit said to my spirit: think of the loneliness Jesus endured in His life on earth. Ah yes. And then this - I will never leave you or forsake you. This is true and a comfort. But I never realized how much of a comfort it really is until the Spirit gave me this last, profound, thought: Jesus did experience forsakenness. Oh, my. I'd just never thought of it that way.


As He hung there on the cross in the place of sinful me and all humanity, what did He cry out? What did He say? Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46) I cannot fathom the depths of pain Christ must have felt at that moment.


And because of His obedience to death on the cross, and His resurrection, I will never have to know what it is to be forsaken. I cannot fully take it in! To God be the glory, Amen.

*
Photos:
1-dear old dad in the background; mom's crazy purple/orange peppers in the foreground
2-love these flowers-inside-a-flower; CA in the backgroud, eating an apple

1 comment:

  1. He bore much more than we will ever bear... for us. Such humility and such obedience I will never grasp.

    ReplyDelete