Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pain

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate
And has shed His own blood for my soul.
Horatio Gates Spafford, 1873

Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble? Job 2:10


My soul hurts. I realized it this morning as I sat, spending time with the Lord. Someone I love far away hurts right now and my soul aches to be near and to soothe the hurting one.

I've been feeling a little numb and spacey and it hit me that these feelings are from pain in my heart.

These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. I Peter 1:7


Several truths comfort me in the pain. These do not remove it, but then it is not always best to have hurts and uncertainties removed right away.

-I'm overwhelmed by the reality of God's sovereign control over every detail of existence in this universe Yes, Lord God Almighty, true and just are your judgments (Revelation 16:7). May I fall down in worship at every turn, knowing that Christ is sustaining all things by His powerful word. (Hebrews 1:3)

-It is staggering to meditate upon and believe Jesus' promises about prayer. A soul-sister of mine pointed me to these scriptures, in light of the trials at hand. Read John 14:14 - And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. And, further: Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. (Mark 11:22-24)


To these truths I'm tempted to cry, but God my faith is ever so small! And His word says, To Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...(Jude 24) and then in I Thessalonians 3:13 I see this prayer May He strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father. God, strengthen my heart.

-This morning I Kings 19 was part of my morning read. God allowed Elijah rest and refreshment in a time of exhaustion. The Lord is doing this for me, for us, in very tender ways. After providing for Elijah's physical needs God spoke to the discouraged prophet, not in the wind, or in the earthquake, or in the fire, but in a gentle whisper (vs 12). Oh, I wait for Your whispers, God, and I praise You that You would speak to me. Thank you for your quiet voice. Give me ears to hear.

*
Photos - some comic relief...thankfully, life does go on in whimsical and happy ways
1-EG works hard and is quite a servant.
2-LC and MK (with CA) are like twins, born 2 years apart. Among many shared likes is their affection for dragging out our clothes and shoes and tromping around the house in them. You can see that CA has joined in by putting on two big, mismatched, wrong-foot shoes. Smile.
3-The Professor is in the house. Anybody need advice from this wise old sage?

1 comment:

  1. Amen and amen. Still praying for peace and rest... "Stayed upon Jehovah hearts are fully blessed, finding as He promised perfect peace and rest."

    It was good for me to read Hebrews 1:3... "sustaining all things by His powerful word." I read this morning that His word is like silver (treasure!) you remind me tonight that His word is sustaining and nourishing. When we're not bathed in it we starve.

    Keep feasting, sister, and with faith make your requests known to God.

    ReplyDelete