Wednesday, July 14, 2010

MK is (Almost) Eight!

O LORD, the king rejoices in your strength. 
How great is his joy in the victories you give! 
You have granted him the desire of his heart 
and have not withheld the request of his lips.
You welcomed him with rich blessings 
and placed a crown of pure gold on his head. Psalm 21:1-3


I prayed God would bless us with another baby after the first one came, and He did not withhold the request of my lips! He sent us this diminutive pixie child in the middle of the summer in 2002.

At an even 6 pounds birthweight, we were not sure how to handle her (her older sister was a heavyweight at over 9 pounds) - so fragile and tiny she was.

I remember cutting the baby wipes into thirds, just so they'd be small enough to be useful at diaper change time on such a small body. BB had to run to Walmart more than once to grab a preemie onesie or two, because we had no clothes to fit her.

Some ages surprise you more than others - MK being eight is rather shocking to me. Eight? Really? Starting third grade? No. Way.

Isn't this my enigmatic little two year old who made up crazy and hilarious words? Beeda-bahdda-fweetz! Seriously, she'd come up with these words and phrases and we rarely knew their origin or real meaning. She just said them. And we laughed. Oh, and there was also Dingda-dingda-dilda-dacta-day; Spring is in the air, I bringed a flower. We eventually figured out that one was a twisted up line from Disney's A Bug's Life.

This is the tiny child who used to sleep surrounded by a small army of stuffed animals, dolls, and other...creatures, right?

Mmmm, no. She's eight.

Now she sleeps surrounded by a huge pile of books, is great at multiplication and is very handy in the kitchen with a sharp knife. Her maternal instincts are amazing - she's attracted to babies and just knows what they need and want, and how to talk to them. I think that if she didn't know that giving birth is painful, she'd be saying she wants 10 kids herself.

She's leggy and slim and still my slightest child. Her heart is very tender, but she doesn't want us to know that.

How I, how we, praise God for saying Yes to my prayer for another child! Thank You, Lord, for our MK!


MK's real birthday is in a few days, very close to Baby's due date. She agreed to celebrating her birthday early, which we did this past Saturday. Her choice for a birthday cake was chocolate cake, chocolate icing and vanilla ice cream on the side.

We met up with one of MK's school friends and a family from church at an indoor inflatable place. For two hours, the kids jumped and ran and jumped and ran. Isn't BB the best dad? He jumped and ran, too. (I did not jump or run.)


Opening presents. She's all about the roller skates! Wears them around the house like shoes. In the lower right photo, she's wearing LC's skates, which she'd borrowed just before tearing open her own pair.

*
Baby's birthday should be next. I hope he/she doesn't hold out until our next kid-birthday, which is CA's, the first week of August.

6 comments:

  1. I agree... I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around "eight years" too, although we still have a few weeks to go.

    Sweet MK, she is a darling girl. She's always been dear to me because I carried A at the same time you carried her. What a blessing it has been to share not one, but two, pregnancies with you!

    Now, out baby, out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's so neat that A and MK were born close together, and then that A shares a bday with CA!

    And amen to that: out baby OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks absolutely delicious!!!! I cannot believe she is 8! Our second will be 8 in a few months. I loved how our first two were close like yours.. a true answer to my heart prayer!

    Yes, Yes, have that baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday MK!! Wow, I cannot believe she is almost 8, it seems like just yesterday Kev and I had our first experience with kiddos overnight, EG and MK who were only 2 & 3!! Man how time flies!

    Maybe you should have run and jump, then maybe baby would already be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (funny mind picture of you running and jumping!!)

    happy birthday to your sweet girl - the stories are so special. i have such great memories of roller skates and look forward to buying them for my girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd forgotten how pretty she was as a newborn. I love this little pixie of ours!

    ReplyDelete