Monday, January 16, 2012

This Dust Needs Grace

As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him; for He knows how we are formed; He remembers that we are dust. 
Psalm 103:13-14



Today, I'm taking Ruth's gentle challenge to recognize God's graces bestowed on us, and to write about them as part of her Grace Laced Mondays.

I've written here about how intense the parenting experience has become with six little ones, one of whom has very deep wounds in her heart. And on top of that, three of my six could now qualify as tweens and are very much expressing the need and desire for more of mom and dad...more conversation, more one on one, more quality time.

This new level of needs and relating has caught me off guard, but I'm taking it to Jesus, and quite happily admitting that I am but dust, and "God, how do I do this?!" 

I'm more aware than ever of my frailty, meanness, and inability to do this job. I mean, I sin. I'm too harsh with one, then not faithful enough in discipline with the other. Then another gets her needs overlooked a bit because she's quiet and just doesn't demand attention.

What I'm learning, slowly, is this: God's love for me does not stop when I fail. How can I say this best...

There is a relieving joy in letting go of the belief that I am able to do walk out this calling on my own. There's even relief in admitting my sins and shortcomings (quickly) to Him and to those I offend. And there's so.much.grace. Forgiven. Forgiven. Forgiven. And because what Jesus endured and achieved out of love for me, I'm able to get back up after falling down...I can dust myself off and walk ahead in hope...the hope that He is transforming me; hope that Jesus has acted righteously in all things on my behalf, and especially the hope that God will accomplish His purposes in me and through me, for His glory, in spite of me. That's just the blessing of His gracing humanity with the opportunity to serve and know Him. He doesn't need us, but chooses to use us anyway!

I pray you can enjoy His grace more fully with each passing day...

Grace Laced Mondays

8 comments:

  1. Amen and amen!! So glad to find your blog Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I now have a "tween" and your post just made me realize that she is in need of my extra attention, more one on one time. Oh, for the grace to recognize it, and to not let it slip aside the busyness of our days. To shower her with grace as our Father does. Blessings, Beth! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jesus for your grace to preform our jobs as mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh friend, thank you for your humility and example of brokenness and surrender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I feel the same way and I cannot even imagine what it's like to try to spread all that love and patience and grace around to more than the one child I have!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely words! So important to remember as we parent. He surely doesn't need us, and what a blessing that he chooses to use us anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He remembers... Oh, that I too will remember the dust and in the remembering extend grace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A hearty thanks to each of you who stopped in today! What a fun encouragement to hear your comments! God bless each of you.

    ReplyDelete