Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Winner, the Real Deal, & Surgery

We have a winner!

CA drew a name and MARGO should expect to receive a happy treat in the mail before too long! Congratulations, Margo. I hope the music is a blessing to you and your family!

I don't have any pictures today because of technical difficulties, I guess you could say. Bummer.

Well, let's see. I've wondered what to say here of late. I've had little time to think or write, but even when a moment has surfaced, I am unsure of my words.

I see God's kindness toward me and my family every day in the little things - a sweet moment with a wounded-heart child, catching up on appointments that had fallen behind during the summer, a husband who helps and helps and helps, the golden sun coming in my bedroom window in the morning.

To be honest, though, my emotions are not really in step with Reality (you know, that It is Well With My Soul because of Jesus, and that All's Grace, as Ann Voskamp would say). It seems that two years of intense family change has begun to catch up with us all. This has to happen, I think. As my dear friend observed in her recent post, sometimes we must crumble in order to be built back up.

So one element of our family busy-ness of late is tending to the healing of our hearts, minds, and bodies, one small step at a time, at least the element that is our responsibility. God is the healer, and He lets us be agents, participating in His process.

One practical consequence of all this is that we are making and attending lots of appointments! Among other things, we are seeking help with MK's migraine headache problems, and (drum roll, please!) I've had several visits to an ENT doctor in preparation for surgery.

This is a happy surgery! Truly a mercy from God! I have hearing loss in both ears, a genetic condition which affected my paternal grandmother and now affects me, my dad, and my sister. For my sister and I, the loss started in our early 30's. It feels like my hearing has deteriorated pretty rapidly, but that's not something you can easily measure or quantify. The delightful part is that it's correctible!

So, Wednesday I'll go in for a little outpatient work on my right ear, in which the hearing loss is greater. If all goes well, we'll schedule the left-ear surgery for several months down the road. It sounds like there's not much to the recovery; just lay low for a day or two. I cannot imagine what it will be like to hear clearly out of that ear! It's exciting to think of it. God is good.

Oh, and I meant to include this too. Earlier today, BB allowed me a few moments to myself. I had a little cry and wrote a bit in my journal (a real treat these days!) and in the middle of the writing, that crazy wonderful mockingbird started to sing. Sounded like he was standing on our chimney. I do not remember if he's sung so much in the cool fall before. But every note speaks to me this season, literally reminding me of God's mercy, stopping me in my tracks to think on it for a moment.

This time when I heard the happy bird, I stopped writing and looked up the word mercy in the dictionary and the definition refreshed me:

noun - 
1. compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm

2. an event to be grateful for, especially because its occurrence prevents something unpleasant or provides relief from suffering

Jesus' mercies are very real. Small, big, ever present.

I'll sign off for now. Time to prepare for the week ahead, which also includes BB dreading a trip in to have wisdom teeth removed. Told you we were busy catching up with life!

Thanks for stopping in here! It means a lot that you come by and visit!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love definition number 2!

    I'm so thankful that you have a surgery option for your hearing loss -- what a mercy that it's treatable! I'm praying for the procedure and for all the unsettled hearts (and aching bodies) at your house right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. How is it that I don't ever remember seeing the photo of you and BB that's on the sidebar? LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we will pray for the surgery to go well! your in our thoughts and prayers !

    ReplyDelete