Thursday, December 20, 2012

Photo Album from the Smokies

How's your Christmas season, friends? I'm thankful for some extra simplicity in our celebrating this year.

God is faithful. I'm learning this in the nitty-gritty details of life lately. Sometimes the lesson comes with joy as I put my trust in Jesus for more and more. Other times I learn from my mistakes; times I did not rest in Him to take care of me, and I get to see in retrospect how perfectly He managed all that concerned me (but this scenario means I endured needless worry, stress, and exhaustion...God's way is always best, yes?).

Here are some of my favorite moments from our Thanksgiving in the Smoky Mountains...


Collecting pretty things in nature, especially pretty because we don't see anything like it in our region in Texas!


Especially things like MOSS!



Some of the girls and me at one of the old cabins in Cade's Cove




Princesses of the forest!


This one's fierce. Watch out! 



Ferns. Another plant that doesn't like Texas.


Headed up to Clingman's Dome. Very chilly. There was old snow here and there. Notice the blue sky in the above photo...


And this was the sky by the time we reached the top of the observation tower, not that many minutes later! But those mountains...happy sigh!



Later on, we stopped for a picnic by a beautiful stream. It was dark and shady and very cool. And look who came to visit us while we lunched - pretty green ladybug!


We did a "wall of thanks" with sticky notes for people to list blessings. This was one of LC's. So sweet.


One very special blessing of our trip east was the privilege and treat of seeing two of my college girlfriends. We've been friends since we were 18 years old! We got to see my good friend A and her family first. We had our combined children sit for a photo. Oh. My. How did we end up with 17 children between us?! Amazing blessings from the Lord, all these kiddos. And the special, enduring friendship with A.


During our week in the Smokies, I got to sneak away with just Baby H in tow and meet my other college girlfriend for tea. It was a real pleasure and rare opportunity, indeed. S is truly a kindred spirit, to borrow Anne Shirley's phrasing. If you add up her children, mine, and A's, it's 23 altogether. 23. I don't think any of us could've imagined such a thing when we were babies ourselves way back in college! Haha!


1 comment:

  1. Fun photos, Beth. I'm continually amazed that there are so many children among the three of us--could never have imagined that so many years ago! God is so good! I'm so thankful we could spend time together last month. Love you!

    ReplyDelete