Wednesday, August 14, 2013

First Day Already

Back to school!


The sweet, sweet summer has ended for us. I am really taken aback when I compare last summer with this summer, and this past year's back to school with 2013's!

Last summer wasn't a summer at all for me in the sentimental sense of the word. It began with crisis (water breaking) and ended with a fly-by-the-seat back to school experience. I really don't remember it, to be honest with you.

The kids' experience of summer break 2012 wasn't awesome either, with an absent mom and so much uncertainty. I am thankful that they were treated to some special fun by dear friends and family during those crazy weeks.


I would not choose to relive the past year or so, I don't think, if I was given the option. It's been dark and painful and hard. But it wasn't an accident or a mistake. It was the ashes. And now I get to see some of the beauty...(Isaiah 61:3)

I said in past post that God let our family kind of fall apart over the past year or so, in order that He might put us back together more beautifully, with greater strength and wisdom, and much closer to whole - as individuals and as a family unit. I see back-to-school this year in the light of this verse:

Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5


It felt great to have the presence of mind to throw together these school's-starting-surprises. Most of the contents and the bags themselves were in the dollar bins at Target. And no junk! I filled them with erasers, small tissue packs, and a little treat or two. Oh, and most importantly: a note of encouragement. I found a package of Holley Gerth's excellent stationery at Walmart the other day. Yeehah! (for the life of me, I cannot find a link to the box of cards I found...there are four different kinds of cards in the box and they are so encouraging and inspirational - perfect for the kids in this season!)

So, the kids started back to school on Monday. This year it's two 7th graders, a 6th grader, one in 4th and one in 1st, with CJ and BH at home. I'm excited about the year to come. I was freaking out and nervous several weeks ago, but God calmed my nerves and my thinking and it's all gonna be okay!

I will catch up with birthday photos and such in the near future. Ah, life moves so quickly...


No comments:

Post a Comment