Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Myth of the Urgent


This phrase came out of my mouth recently when talking to a dear friend. I have no idea if it is original to me, so I apologize if I've inadvertently stolen someone's words.

The Myth of the Urgent is not really a myth, I guess, but rather a lie. It is a lie that I too often believe. Here is the lie: there is something more important than knowing Christ and making Him known.

Even as I write, I am praying for the grace to not believe this. I've spent too much of my life with a list of things that really were more important to me than Jesus. Then, in His mercy, He sent difficult circumstances and chaos, so that He could show me what is Truly Urgent. Living in survival mode for month after month meant that all the fat had to be trimmed away from my "urgent list." It finally came down to a few simple things: seek the Lord, teach the children to seek the Lord, make sure we have food in the house, and a few clean things to wear.

Lately, we're emerging from survival mode, and I am thankful for that. I appreciate the little things so much - a page read from a book, words written in a journal, a meal out with the family. But, I must be reminded constantly to stay true to What Really Matters. May this be my heart and prayer:

I seek You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. Psalm 119:10

No comments:

Post a Comment