Friday, May 8, 2009

Light and Momentary

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:1-3


One of our particular "light and momentary afflictions" (2 Corinthians 4:17) has been related to sleep. Our fourth baby has had insomnia since birth. She is 21 months old now, and in the past two weeks has begun to sleep through the night on her own. Having had one other daughter with sleep problems, it was not a complete shock when CA showed signs of a sleep disorder.

Oh, I did not respond submissively to this plan of God's at first. When it became clear that the insomnia was not easing after she passed one year, then I struggled intensely with anger and frustration and a craving to know why - why she couldn't sleep well, and why God was allowing this.

But He is patient and He poured out His grace and I began to know how wrong my response was. That is when the lesson of patience started. It was like I had to come to a place of saying, "I will be content even if this never stops, because it is His will for me." Coming to that place of not fighting His plan anymore brings such relief and rest. It doesn't mean the circumstance is enjoyable all of a sudden, but it does allow for joy to spring up, and for thankfulness to be born. Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (I Thessalonians 5:18)


I don't know if the sleep improvement will last, but either way, we are thankful for the break, thankful to get more uninterrupted hours of sleep.

You can expect to hear more on this subject in time, because I don't think I can count the blessings and lessons God has poured out through uncomfortable times.

And for some good reading on the circumstances in which we can and should (by His grace) give thanks, see Habakkuk 3:16-19

Thank you, God, for mercifully allowing difficulties. I praise and thank You for those who have prayed for us when we have been so exhausted. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment