Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Unless the Lord Builds This Day

Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat — for he grants sleep to those he loves. Psalm 127:1-2

This verse of scripture has been going around and around in my head, because it's in song-form on a great CD we have (Jamie Soles' River). I can happily say that my mental state (a little history on that here and here) is much better in the space of a short week - God has been gracious to help us find some better ways for me to organize my responsibilities and He has lifted a heaviness that had settled on my heart.

That said, it is still true that the details of daily life can sometimes feel staggeringly overwhelming: what should I do when? And how should I do it? Will it all get done??

Then, as Psalm 127:1-2 made another pass through my brain, I thought, "Unless the Lord builds this day, I labor in vain." It doesn't matter how organized I become or how motivated I am or how much rest I get the night before. If this day isn't His, committed to Him, blessed by Him, then my work is in vain indeed.

It was kind of a relief, really, to have God show me these things, because there is great comfort to be found in surrendering (oh, but it is a great struggle for me sometimes!) my will to His, asking Him to bless our day, give me wisdom, open my mouth so that faithful instruction is on my tongue....

It is good to have a plan, but may our plans be guided by our loving Father, blessed by Him.

And, Jesus, help us to willingly receive the alterations (improvements! even if we can't see so yet) You send to our to-do lists and schedules - for Your glory and our good. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. The Lord builds a day... why is this so hard for me to remember some days? Oh, that all my days will be guided and blessed by the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've struggled greatly with it myself here in the two days since I wrote this post...

    ReplyDelete