Sunday, February 21, 2010

His Grace is Thick

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. 
I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. Psalm 61:1-4

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 61:1-2, 6-8


These verses really spoke to me the other morning after I'd had a little boo-hoo session. I awoke that day feeling burdened and sad and ended up crying in prayer and deciding to go back to bed - where I cried some more with my good, kind husband. He is wonderful at helping me sort out my mixed up feelings in those kinds of moments.

But it was at breakfast, when we opened the Word for the morning reading, that God comforted me with Psalm 61 and 62. I've included the specific verses above that were so special to me. Reading the Psalmist's desperate cries to the Lord - Hear my cry, O Lord, listen to my prayer, and Find rest, O my soul, in God alone - reminded me that I can, and should, call on His Name at every turn, in each distress and tear.



That was a tough morning, but turned out to be a sweet day, full of His Peace.

Switching gears a bit - the photos are of a cute little outfit I bought on clearance at Target for baby #5. It's always nice for later-borns to have a few things of their own! So, I have this set tucked in a drawer. Maybe it'll be a coming-home outfit. Nice and neutral!

God has graced this pregnancy with an unusual feeling of newness and freshness. In some ways, it feels like a first baby. I can't really explain this, aside from my theory that the severe sleep deprivation after CA has erased many details of being pregnant with her from my memory, making it feel like it's been a long time since I had a baby. It's like I'm able to enjoy the unique happiness of carrying this life in me while still carrying on the lives outside of me, without either of them overshadowing the other. It's just grace, thick and undeserved, from Jesus. Each movement of this child in me surprises me, catches me off guard and is a pleasant reminder - oh yes, we'll meet our new baby in July...a baby is coming! And I thank Him for this - over and over I do.

*

Mercy List for today -

46 that God does not require perfection of this perfectionist...because Jesus has paid it all

47 the fact that the Lord makes simple those things which I complicate, left to myself

48 EG's right-eye wink in response to mine. I'll really miss that if she ever stops. It's like a secret hug to me.

49 the way CA absently touches my neck when she's tired or has just awakened from a nap

50 a few moments to write

51 seeing God provide encouragement for one of the girls - I'd had to deal out some discipline to this one and it was just not a pleasant experience for either of us - then it was back to our schoolwork. When she came to do some math drills (which have been hard for her lately), she just did unusually well, which lifted her spirits and lightened our moods and was such a blessing from the Lord. I thanked Him for giving me that immediate opportunity to brag on her and encourage her.

2 comments:

  1. "His grace is thick" I love that description. Yes, it is, and, wow, think where we would be without it!

    You're ahead of me on getting something cute and new for baby to wear as a newborn in the hospital. I must get busy. Love your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, a good husband who lets you cry it out is A WONDERFUL gift! It took my husband and I a few years to work that out :)

    those booties are too sweet. How precious that you feel like a first pregnancy again. THat's a real gift too!

    ReplyDelete