Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Carried

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 
Psalm 63:1


We are in a terrible drought here in Texas. It's been a long, dry, blisteringly hot summer. Today, my outdoor thermometer registered 110 degrees in late afternoon. Talk about the dog days. I think it has rained two or three times these past three months.

I photographed the plant above in early July. I don't know what it is, but it seems to embody hardiness - it is crusty, dry, and alive.

My heart is so full as summer ends. What an odyssey it's been.

I'm spent.

Recently, God gave me a sort of picture in my mind of what it looks like to fix my eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). It was me on a tightrope, taking those careful steps forward, with my gaze on the face of Christ, Who is standing at the end of the rope. And like Peter, who walked on water as long as he was focused on Jesus, it seemed God was saying to me that my heart focused on Christ would keep me balanced on the tightrope.

But now, after this long, beautiful, crazy season, I cannot even walk that rope anymore. Know what that means? Another picture He gave me: Him, the Shepherd, carrying me, the weary lamb, His servant, through the rest of this part of the journey, with my head laid on His shoulder.

For me, this image has to do with letting go of burdens God never intended for me to carry (read: worrying over things like my children's salvation, not really trusting Jesus to bring them to Himself). This being carried has to do with admitting I am tired and that it certainly won't be my strength or ingenuity that gets us through the rest of summer and school starting (August 15th for us!). All of this points back to the fact that I'm also seeing I've relied upon, and prided myself on my hard work and efforts. To rest my head on the Shepherd's shoulder is to Cease striving and know that [He is] God (Psalm 46:10).

This summer - it's been so much more than merely 100 days with no school. We have lived. We have Lived life abundantly. Jesus said, I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)

It's been the Summer of the Gospel in this house, all praise to to Jesus. He has changed us; His Good News has blossomed and flourished and become daily conversation here, like never before. I hope the Summer of the Gospel gives way to the Life of the Gospel, where every member of our family never stops talking about the goodness of God in Jesus...where each of us, by His grace, lives out His love in all our encounters with people, for the glory of God and the blessing of all.

He tends his flock like a shepherd:
   He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
   he gently leads those that have young. 
Isaiah 40:11
*
Hey! Don't forget to share your own mercies from God with us! Emailing me with your list of five (or more!) favorite mercies will enter you to win a prize in the giveaway!

1 comment:

  1. Why is it that we so stubbornly cling to the burdens we aren't meant to carry? Is it pride... for me, I think it is -- this prideful need of mine to lie to myself, to feel as though I'm in control. And relinquishing control seems to be one of God's summer lessons for me.

    This learning to be carried... such an important, comforting lesson to learn.

    I praise God for the heartwork that He has wrought in your home this summer.

    ReplyDelete