Monday, December 3, 2012

AH and a Quote


Number three in the Historical Dress Up Series: AH!

My mom scored this pretty red dress at a yard sale or thrift store in recent months and left it for the kids to enjoy. Since we studied a good bit about China and the Opium Wars and such, AH decided to go dressed as a wealthy Chinese woman. We even found a little red satin purse at the thrift store - pretty similar to the look of her dress - so she had an accessory!


She borrowed my dangly earrings...

Got a nice thick application of eye liner...


Some "chopsticks" for her hair...

And a bit of silly for the camera!



Pretty AH!

I wanted to include a great little selection from A Praying Life by Paul E. Miller today:

"...If Satan's basic game plan is pride, seeking to draw us into his life of arrogance, then God's basic game plan is humility, drawing us into the life of His Son. The Father can't think of anything better to give us than His Son. Suffering invites us to join His Son's life, death, and resurrection. Once you see that, suffering is no longer strange. Peter writes, 'Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share in Christ's sufferings.' I Peter 4:12-13"

I see the above truths at work in my life these days.

It's truly the School of Life for me right now. I've observed to BB that it seems that at times, we gain spiritual knowledge and wisdom in a primarily academic manner - studying, thinking, memorizing, and so on. But then there's the School of Life, in which academics are largely stripped away, and and it's just you, your heart, your messes, Jesus and the gospel, and how-does-all-that-come-together. I'm kind of thinking this is where it's at, though personally I find academic spiritual learning much more comfortable! This is where heart change happens, by His good grace.


GraceLaced Mondays

4 comments:

  1. I'm finally popping by, though I think of you often. AH is so so lovely. Thanks for posting these pics! I really love the excerpt your posted as well...how absolutely true. There is nothing better than really partaking in the intimacy of the Father and the Son...what a privilege it is for us to share in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a thousand times yes! Because of sufferings we get to, WE GET TO, experience the gospel over and over and over again in ways that we wouldn't if all of our learning and growing was book-learning!

    AH is beautiful. Do people ever tell you that she looks like you? I see a resemblance in that first photo especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, many people have said that AH looks like me. It's a special thing from the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, she's so beautiful. Thank you for the email update. . .

    ReplyDelete