Monday, March 1, 2010

A Prayer and The View From My Schooldesk

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. Matthew 6:7-8

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. Romans 8:26

*This is a part of a prayer from my time with the Lord the other day. I'm including it here for two reasons. The first reason is that I wonder if it might encourage someone else who finds themselves a bit stuck when trying to talk with Jesus. For me, lately, I have had a terrible time focusing and not becoming distracted, hence the written prayer on this particular day. The second reason is to show the kindness, patience, and grace of my God to His children when they call out to Him in prayer...
*

Dear Lord,

Today I come to You by paper. My thoughts are so scattered that it seemed time to put them on paper - which seems like such a slow way to talk to You, but then again, that's probably what I need is to slow down and be deliberate in my words. And also, I keep thinking about Your words in Matthew, that it doesn't take "many words" to communicate with You, for You already know my needs before I ask You.

Many times now, when I come to talk with You, I cannot think of what to say - but, then, isn't there a promise about that, too? Am I not told that when I don't know what to pray, the Holy Spirit speaks to You with groans - for me?

Why such a wonderful gift [the groanings of the Spirit], I do not know, but what a happy realization from You at this very moment!

This is enough to camp on right now, Lord - these two truths - few words, no words.....
*

And here is the view from my schooldesk on Friday:

 
EG is a hard worker and gets much done without supervision (and with supervision!).

 
MK brought us a big surprise early during our schoolday Friday (see Mercies below)

LC appears to be studying very hard here. We are using this little book to help her learn/memorize the beatitudes (by product: mommy learns them, too)

CA has only in recent months begun to enjoy sitting down to look at a book on her own. It is so fun to see her do it! She loves Nurse Nancy and Doctor Dan.

 
She also has started enjoying blocks and puzzles a whole lot. We've always said she has crazy good balance/agility, and it seems to come out in the buildings she makes...should this structure be standing?

 
Guess not. Isn't this the most priceless face? One of her big sisters rushed to her aid after her tower toppled.


Mercy, mercy, mercy....

53 comin' home time for daddy!

54 having the girls here all day

55 the extra sunlight we get in the upstairs rooms of our house

56 when I sort dirty laundry, there is a whole, large-ish load of just pink/red clothing

57 armoniche rigatoni, just for fun!

58 parenting along with my parents...a unique, surprising, beautiful and painful experience for us all...something I'm sure none of us expected to have in common at our respective stages of life...them as (former) empty nesters and us in the thick of it with 4 kids in our 30's

59 "conference call" the other morning with mom and dad regarding....parenting! love you guys!

60 drippy good fresh pears for a snack

61 drippy wet faces and hands during the pear snack (+ hurry go clean yourself up :-)

62 "Ine a big girl" (quoting CA)

63 EG passing her 8's multiplication test, after some struggle, practice, and prayer

64 MK's thinking: went downstairs today during schooling, came back with bowls of ice cream for all of us (this was not long after breakfast). She wanted to do something special for us, kept it a secret, writing herself a reminder of what she wanted to do, just in case she forgot (since I made her do her morning chores before her secret act of kindness). Also, recently, she rearranged our seating situation at the dinner table, something I never do. She thinks outside the box.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this post... your honest words, especially, and the important reminder that there is One who intercedes on our behalf to the Father. Sometimes to simply be still before Him is enough.

    Precious photos. I love MK's morning surprise and the look on LC's face. Nurse Nancy and Doctor Dan have been popular at our house too.

    Blessings to your parents and you as y'all walk together in parenting with faith. Yes, a unique, merciful situation to be "in the thick of it" together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline's outside the box thinking makes me smile. She is a character....and can not be put in a box herself.

    ReplyDelete