Sunday, September 21, 2014

Family Time


I always regret how few photos we get of me during pregnancy. My mom snapped this one recently while we were visiting. AH was trying out a four-wheeler on their property. Good times!

So that's my 27-week baby tummy. By now (a week later), we've reached the point at which my water broke with BH. Shiver.

And, as though my body read one of those pregnancy books, it has decided, rather like clockwork that the honeymoon phase of the middle trimester is over. Twenty-eight weeks? Must be time to become noticeably more tired, hungry, uncomfortable, and lower-energy! All in all, though, things are great and baby's looking good, and I'm glad we're welcoming one more.

Last night, we made a sweet memory: BB and EG were gone together on a special outing, leaving me single-with-six. We had a relaxed Saturday together, and at the end of the day, while I sat on the couch with my feet up (oh, those pesky veins in my legs!), most of the six gathered around and suddenly we were having a belly-watching session.

I will confess that there's a part of me that feels kind of shy about uncovering my tummy - it's a vulnerable thing to do, for me. But anyway, it was worth it.

There were ooohs, and aaaahs, and ewwwws as they watched the baby's erratic movements - little punches, startles, and slower rolling motions. Sometimes we just watched my belly and other times the kids took turns putting a hand on the areas where baby girl tends to show up.

It was a beautiful thing.

I'm thanking God for this. It was wonderful for all it was in the moment and for the grandness that is bringing a new life into our family. but it was bigger than that, too.

Things like bondedness and connection have been a bit rough and tricky at different points over the years. What a joy and blessing from God, to have shared the sweet time of family bonding as we focused on our upcoming arrival. It was an open, vulnerable place for all of us and it makes me smile to see the kids' pride and delight in their new sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment